Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Clean Heart

Cleansing
Imbesis Law: In order for something to become clean, something else must become dirty. Freeman's extension: But you can get everything dirty without getting anything clean.

Forgiveness
Clara Barton, founder of the American Red Cross, was reminded one day of a vicious deed that someone had done to her years before. But she acted as if she had never even heard of the incident. 
"Don't you remember it?" her friend asked. 
"No," came Barton's reply, "I distinctly remember forgetting it."


The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
Proverbs 28:1


Being right with God is wonderful, and living with a cleansed heart is amazing. When I'm right with God, my desire is for eternal (heavenly) things because my focus is on Him and His continuing work in my life. Then my life is one of thankfulness, willingness, strength, courage, contentment, and peace. Conversely, when I'm not right with God, my desire is for temporal (earthly) things because my focus is on me and my continuing effort to control my life. Then my life is one of selfishness, weakness, fearfulness, discontentment, and irritation. 

When I'm having a difficult time of things and feeling a bit down, discouraged, discontent, disgruntled, or disappointed (And don't pretend that you don't  feel like that sometimes, too.), it is easy for me to focus on (blame) my environment (people, situations, and stuff).

But that's not the real problem. Hitting the wrong nail with the hammer doesn't create cursing. It just shows what is already at the tip of the tongue. Bad traffic doesn't create road rage; it releases the rage that is already inside. My environment doesn't make me what I am; it really doesn't. It simply reveals what is already on the inside. Therefore, I must turn the focus inside and on the real problem. The real problem, of course, is me.

When I struggle I am often reminded of God's words to Cain. “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.” (NASB) So, in an honest effort to get to the root of my problem (sin) and the solution to my problem (forgiveness and cleansing), I often to turn to Psalm 51.

David sinned with Bathsheba and attempted to cover his sin by murdering her husband (Uriah). Psalm 51 was written after he was confronted with his sin by Nathan the Prophet. Notice the honesty and brokenness that took  the "man after God's own heart" back to God .

Psalm 51
51:1-2    What three requests stress David’s desire for God’s total forgiveness?
                    Blot out            - my transgressions
                    Wash me         - throughly from mine iniquity
                    Cleanse me      - from my sin

51:3       What first step must I take in order to properly deal with my sin?
                    I must acknowledge my transgression

51:4       Against whom and in whose sight do I really sin?
                    God’s

             What were the exact words that David used to describe who he sinned against?
                    Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight.

51:5      Why are we prone to do the wrong thing?
                    We are born sinners.

51:8       What comes before joy, gladness and rejoicing?
                   God brings spiritual brokenness over sin (not actual bones broken).
  
51:10     What must I want created and renewed?
                   Created – a clean heart.  Renewed – a right spirit. 
                   God is the only one who can create (make form nothing) and renew.

51:12     What must I  want restored?
                   The joy of my salvation

51:17     What does God see as a proper sacrifice?
                   A broken spirit and a broken and a contrite (crushed) heart.
 

David was forgiven, but he and his kingdom were never quite the same. It was months before Nathan came along to accuse. During those months, David could have come to God on his own. But he didn't. I wonder how different things would have been.

We must remember that God is our Heavenly Father. He does not hover over us with a stick like an angry, carnal father. It is not His desire to whack us, but it is His desire to wake us - wake us to our sin and to His forgiveness. God's desire is for us to grow spiritually and to become like His Son (Romans 8:28-29). So, what is it that shows growth and spiritual maturity? It's simple: wanting to please God. We come to God, not because we are afraid of punishment, but because we are tender to the prompting of the Holy Spirit and are easily broken over our sin. We should approach Him because don't want to disappoint Him or mess up the relationship.

Do you have known, unconfessed sin? If so, go to God in brokenness, before He comes to you. Take a few moments today and ask Him to reveal the unrecognized, unconfessed sin. He will forgive, a clean heart will be created, and peace will be yours.


If our greatest need had been information, 
God would have sent us an educator; 
If our greatest need had been technology, 
God would have sent us a scientist; 
If our greatest need had been money, 
God would have sent us an economist; 
If our greatest need had been pleasure, 
God would have sent us an entertainer; 
But our greatest need was forgiveness, 
so God sent us a Savior.
Unknown

Thanks for reading. MM


If this post was a blessing, check out
http://christianedification.blogspot.com/2011/01/honest-abe-takes-hit-well-not-really.html

Don't forget to check out our advertisers:) 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment